My mother was making this dish, she learned it from a Hyderabadi family in Karachi. I love to serve and eat this dish with Raita and Salad.
|Rice (soak for 1 hour)||1/2 kg|
|Gram lentil (chana dal)||1 cup|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 tbsp|
|Tomatoes||2 large ,chopped|
|Red chili powder||1 tbsp|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric power||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||1/2 bunch|
|Orange food color||pinch|
|Kewra water||few drops|
|Whole spice (sabut garam masala)||1 tbsp|
- Soak lentil for 2 hours and then boil in water till soft.
- Drain water and set aside.
- In a pot add oil and onion thinly sliced. Fry onion till light brown. Remove half onion on paper towel.
- In oil now add ginger garlic and whole spices. Stir and add tomatoes. Fry till soft.
- Now add red chili powder, salt, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add yogurt also and mix with spices.
- Now add gram lentil boiled and cover with the lid. Let water dry and oil separate.
- Boil rice and set aside.
- Now add chopped green chilies and coriander in lentil masala.
- Grease pot and spread first layer of rice the lentil then again rice layer.
- Now pour orange food color and brow onion on top and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- You can add kewra water also if desired.
- Mix well before serving.
- Serve with Raita and Salad.
U have not mentioned his much youghurt
I am sorry Kinz, use 1/2 cup yogurt.
Made for dinner…..was so yummmm. My family liked it….thanks for d recipe
You are welcome Kinz 🙂