A recipe by Sherien Anwer, perfect comfort food for hot summer lunch. Prepare Mint Raita and serve with these Rice. You will definitely love them.
First an introduction about DATA DARBAR and its Langer:
Data Darbar is located in the city of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. It is one of the oldest Muslim shrines in South Asia. It houses the remains of a Sufi saint, Abul Hassan Ali Hajvery (more commonly known as Daata Ganj Baksh, or “the master (Daata) who bestows treasures gifted (Ganj Baksh) by Allah Almighty”).
300 shops in shrine area from where people can purchase langar (rice daig and dal roti) and distribute this langar in the shrine. These shops sold almost 7000 to 10000 daigs of rice daily and each daig contains 3 kg rice.
This recipe is inspired from the Langer Chana Pulao or Data darbar ke Chawal.
You can read more about Data darbar here: DATA DARBAR LANGER
|Rice||1/2 kg, soak them for 20 minutes|
|Tomatoes||2 medium, chopped|
|Onion||1 medium, sliced|
|Red chili flakes||1 tsp|
|Crushed black pepper||1 tsp|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 tsp|
- Boil chickpeas and leave 1/2 cup water in it. Set aside.
- In a pot add oil and sliced onion, fry till light golden. Now add fresh ginger and garlic paste. Saute for few seconds.
- Add whole spices 1 tbsp and stir. Now add chopped tomatoes. Stir for few seconds.
- Add red chili flakes and crushed black pepper. Mix well and cook till oil separates.
- Now add chickpeas with 1/2 cup water and salt.
- Add soaked rice and 2 cup water.
- Cook till rice done.
- Add green chilies and mix. Now let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with Raita and Salad.
For Raita recipe click the link below: