The extravagant Nihari is one of Pakistan’s most famous Dish.In Lahore people serve this as a breakfast with naans and Kulcha. In Karachi its a lunch and dinner meal. How can i forget the taste of Javed’s Nihari Restaurant in Karachi. Right now i am giving you my tried and tested recipe of Chef Zakir…Only one word for this recipe….Awesome…:)
|Red chilli powder||2 tbsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|All spice /gram masala powder||1 tbsp|
|Ginger Garlic paste||2 tbsp|
|Wheat flour/lal atta||1 cup|
|Dry ginger||2 tbsp|
|Oil and ghee (half oil,half ghee)||1 cup|
|Grren chillies/coriander and ginger||as needed|
|Brown onion||for garnish|
- Fry thinly sliced onion in oil and ghee , fry till light brown now add meat and fry till color change.
- Add ginger garlic paste dissolved in 1/4 cup water into meat.Add red chilli powder,salt, and coriander powder in meat.
- Make a small pouch(potli) of Dry ginger and Aniseed.Tie it tightly.Add this also in meat.Add 1/4 cup water and fry.Onion will become soft .
- Chicken will not take too much time as soon as water dries add water , if making chicken Nihari then add chicken broth instead of water.
- Let it cook on low flame ,it will take 4-5 hours, but chicken will take 3 hours approx.
- Now add Lal Atta/ wheat flour dissolved in 1/2 cup water.Add flour slowly and after pouring half check the consistency of gravy ,if you want more thick then add more.
- Dissolve gram masala in 1/4 cup of water and add in gravy.
- Add half green chillies,ginger and coriander also.
- Let it simmer on low flame for 5 -10 minutes.
- Now turn off flame and leave it for few minutes for a good result.
- On serving time first dish out meat ,and heat gravy separately .Then pour on meat.
- Garnish with brown onion,chillies,coriander and ginger.
- Serve with hot Nanns…