This is an Afghan dish, healthy and tasty. Dieters you can also include this dish in your Menus. This is basically Afghani Khiri. But I consider this as a Haleem. I have posted a recipe of DEHLI SHOLA which i learned from my Aunt (she was from Dehli) both recipes are very different in taste and looks but names are same :). Try both and give me your feedback.
|Mong lentil/ mung beans||1 cup|
|Chicken (boneless) or beef||1 cup|
|Chicken or beef stock||1 cup|
|Garlic||1 tsp minced|
|Red chilli powder||1 tbsp or to taste|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper||1 tsp|
|Spinach||1 cup finely chopped|
- Soak lentil for 2 hours.
- In a pan fry onion till light golden then add minced garlic and stir for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomato and fry.
- Now add chicken or beef and stir. Add salt, pepper, red chillies, turmeric and cumin seeds. Fry them.
- Add Chicken stock , water, spinach and soaked and washed rice ,cover the lid and cook till tender and thick.
- I pressure cook them for 10 minutes , you can cook in a pot and then check the consistency you required. If you want to eat as a khichri then dry water, if like Haleem then you can add stock to obtain Haleem consistency.
- Prepare tempering/ bhagar now (if making for a dieter then skip bhagar)
- In 1/4 cup oil add 3 red chillies, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, 1 -2 green chillies and let them crackle then pour on shola.
- You can fry onion for bhagar also.
- Serve with Chat masala, coriander and green chillies.