Katwa Ghost is a famous Traditional dish of Attock district. Attock is the last city of Punjab province. You can say border line before KPK province. You will see a lot of Pathans living in Attock district. This dish is basically originated from Chach, Mansahra, Haripur, Texila and Hazro Cities. On main G.T Road you will see a lot of road side hotels or dhabas serving Katwa. Kutwa is specialy served in special occasions here.
In Pathan families you will see as a compulsory dish in weddings. I first time tasted this dish in a Pathan friend’s wedding.
I asked the person making Katwa about the recipe. Katwa means “Clay Pot”. People use special clay pot and serve in clay plates. In some places people serve with Churi ( Flat bread in small pieces).
Here is an authentic recipe of KATWA.
|Beef with bones||1 kg|
|Ginger , fresh crushed||1 tbsp|
|Garlic fresh crushed||1 tbsp|
|Tomatoes||3-4 large, chopped|
|Onion||3 medium, chopped|
|Red chili powder||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
|Whole spices mix||1 tbsp|
|Green chilies, chopped||8-10|
|Coriander leaves||as needed|
|Flour/ red flour/ chaki ka ata||2 tbsp|
|Water||6 glasses or according to your requirement|
- Take beef with a little bit fat. Wash it.
- In a clay pot add ghee and heat it, add all ingredients, add chopped green chilies half quantity, add all spices and water. Water you can adjust according to your requirement. In Attock beef takes 40-50 minutes to become tender. So i will add water according to my requirement.
- Cover with lid and let it cook on low flame. When water dries, fry it on high flame. Now add water for gravy. Let it boil.
- Add 1/2 cup water in flour, mix and add in meat.
- It will become thick. Consistency is in your hand, you can adjust it.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- If you don’t want to add flour than serve just after frying.
- Before serving sprinkle coriander and green chilies.
- Serve with Naans