My mother was making butter from malai at home and it is not only very easy but also very economical. You can use this butter in baking or applying on Chapatis.
|Milk cream/ Malai||as needed
|Yogurt/ curd||1 -2 tsp
|Chilled water||2 cups
- Collect malai/ cream daily from boiled milk. Keep malai in a airtight container and keep in freezer.
- If you want a thick layer of Malai then boil milk and let it cool completely, keep it in refrigerator. You will get thick layer of Malai. You can use fresh will or pasteurized milk with fats.
- Once you have collected enough Malai/ cream take container out and let it thaw. Add 1-2 tsp yogurt in it and mix well.
- Leave it overnight on room temperature.
- In the morning pour this mixture in blender and add 2-3 cups of ice chilled water in it and start blending.
- Blend it for 2-3 minutes then after a pause again start blending. You will see butter will start floating on top of water.
- After blending 3-4 times remove butter from top and place butter in ice water. This is actually washing of butter. Do this process 2-3 times till water is clear.
- Press and remove as much water as you can.
- Now store in an air tight container, keep in refrigerator or freeze it.
- You can spread in deep square dish and press it down then let it set in refrigerator. Cut Bars and wrap in cling wrap and store in freezer.