Sajji is a native dish of the desert province of Sindh and Balochistan, Pakistan. It consists of whole lamb or whole chicken, in skewers (fat and meat intact), marinated only in salt, sometimes covered with green papaya paste, stuffed with rice, then roasted over coals. Sajji is considered done when it is at the ‘rare’ stage. It is served with a special bread “Kaak”, “roti” or “naan”, which is baked in an oven, wrapped around a stone. Sajji is favourite of Balochistan natives, where most are nomads.
I am giving you a recipe of famous Sajji Restaurant in Karachi,Quetta Sajji House.This is my second recipe of Sajji but it is different from my last recipe and you will love this as much as u like previous one. Now lets see how you can make Quetta Sajji at home…:)
You can check my recipe of second Sajji recipe here: BALOCHI SAJJI
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINADE:
|Whole Chicken with skin/ Mutton leg||1|
|Fresh Ginger/ garlic paste||1 tbsp|
|Lemons||2-3 medium sized|
|Salt||2 tbsp or to taste|
|Black pepper||1 tbsp|
- You can use chicken without skin , as i did. Make deep cuts and then mix all ingredients in a bowl with your hands insert marinade insides the cuts and then on the surface of meat .
- Rub all spices and salt for 10-15 minutes.Keep this in fridge for 5-6 hours .In between prick leg or chicken with fork.
- Pierce in a grille’s rod and bake it or you can steam it first for 20 minutes and then keep it in oven at 180c for 20 more minutes.
- For BBQ flavor you can put a piece of charcoal inside , Serve hot with Naan, Onion rings ,Lemons and Raita.
- And do not forget to sprinkle my special masala before serving…lol
INGREDIENTS FOR SPECIAL MASALA:
|Roasted cumin seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Roasted coriander seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Roasted whole cardamom||1|
|Roasted green cardamom||2-3|
|Roasted fennel||1/4 tsp|
|Pomegranate seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper||1/2 tsp|
- Roast all spices at a time on a flat pan except salt and black pepper.
- Grind all very fine and enjoy with Sajji….
You can Watch video of Sajji here: