Peshawar is famous for two things…. First the Pathans….lol….. and Second, the Namak Mandi . Those who are already aware of Namak Mandi will not be concerned, but those who have not been accustomed will be surprised to know that it is not ‘Salt’ that is sold in the Namak mandi but it is famous because of LAMB/MUTTON KARHAI and TIKKA. They are using less spices in these dishes. Mutton Namkeen Karhai is very simple and special dish.
For a sneak preview of the Flavors of Street food in Peshawar…KPK, check out this video
Few days ago I with my family visited Habibi Restaurant I-8 Islamabad, Habibi Offers Some Delicious Authentic Peshawari and Afghani Food. Thou the restaurant is not very spacious but live barbeque adds flavor to the ambiance, where the aromatic air you breathe increases your appetite…:) We ordered Mutton Namkeen karhai along with bbq platter but believe me the simple, tender and aromatic mutton karhai was a super hit .I tried it at home and so glad to got a very close result. So here it is Copycat of Habibi Namkeen Mutton Karhai.
Click this link and visit Habibi Restaurant : HABIBI RESTAURANT ISLAMABAD
|Mutton with fat||1/2 kg|
|Ginger chopped||1 tbsp|
|Green chillies chopped||3-4 or to taste|
|Red chilli flakes||1 tsp|
|Black pepper crushed||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger,Green chillies and coriander||for garnish|
- Wash mutton and fat, add in a pan and add salt in it.( you can cook with chicken or beef also)
- Let it cook till half tender now add half cut tomatoes and ginger , cook on high flame till water evaporates.Remove skin of tomatoes.
- Add oil and stir it add green chillies, black pepper and red chilli flakes, Stir constantly on high flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves , ginger and green chillies.
- Serve with Afghani or roghani Naan.