After marriage when i settled In Attock, it was a great surprise for me to see hundred of Afgan families living here.They are living peacefully and are very hard working people.I considered myself very fortunate that i found a family ,who knows Urdu language. I have learned a lot of Afghani recipes from them..The mother of the family , whom I am calling “AMMI” because of her loving and simple nature, she herself demonstrated me her famous cuisine.
They have been living here for a long time, her 3 daughters are born here.When i asked her about there resettlement in Afghanistan she( Ammi) told me although her country has seen a lot of changes and development since her family fled to Pakistan,but they have no money to construct their homes and start there businesses.Here i have seen small 8-9 years girls weaving carpets. In Every home you will see Afghani girls earning daily 300 Rs by carpet weaving. I would like to appreciate them for their hard work.
In my coming posts you will see some pictures of Afghan people, it was not an easy job to take pics because most of them do not like to intermingle with Pakistani families.In the pic below you can see few people making Kabuli pulao it was a marriage of a Afghani girl. You can see burning coals on the lid during simmer process.They consider this simmering process as a main step to develop taste in Pulao.
On special occasions i have seen them making Afgani Pulao served with Kehwa and fresh fruits. They normally serve food on large cloth or dastarkhuawn on the floor.
|Chicken/ Mutton/ Beef||1 kg|
|Onion||2 large, sliced|
|Whole spices ( big cardamom,black pepper,cumin)||1 tbsp|
|Carrot||3 cut in thin sticks|
- Soak rice for 1/2 an hour.
- In a heavy bottomed pot pour oil and sliced onion, fry till golden brown color appears.
- Add meat and whole spices , fry again till light brown.
- Add tomatoes, stir constantly and cook till oil separates.
- Add water and cover with lid, cook till meat tender.
- Add rice , when water absorbs simmer it on very low flame.
- On the other side in a pan saute thin sticks of carrots in 1 tbsp oil till soft, add raisins and almonds too and saute.
- Garnish pulao with carrots and serve.
- Enjoy this with Afghani Kehwa.(recipe i will post soon)