Afghani pulao or Kabuli pulao is a national dish of Afghanistan. Festivals and celebrations are incomplete without this rice dish. I am very fortunate that I have learned this recipe from an Afghani family. So I can say its an authentic recipe from Afghani kitchen. I have posted a duplicate recipe with different method and ingredients few years ago. You can check the recipe here: AFGHANI PULAO
|Mutton / beef / chicken||1 kg|
|Fresh Ginger paste||1 tbsp|
|Water for making stock||3-4 cup or as needed|
|Oil||1/2 cup (for making stock)|
|Sella Rice||1 kg|
|Oil for frying nuts||3-4 tbsp|
- In oil fry sliced onion till light brown. In meat add meat, garlic paste and salt.
- Fry till color change and add water. Cover with the lid till meat tender.
- Wash raisins and soak for 15 minutes.
- In a pan add oil 1-2 tbsp. and fry raisins. Till they become double in size. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same oil fry almonds (soak almonds in hot water for 15 minutes and remove skin). take them out.
- Grate carrot or cut Julien, should be very thin. In the same pan add carrots , 3-4 tbsp water and 2 tbsp sugar. Cook till soft and water dries completely.
- In a pot add 2tbsp sugar and melt till brown color appear. Add meat stock Approx 1 cup in it. Add cardamom powder and cumin powder in stock. Cook for few minutes.
- Soak rice in water for 1-2 hours, boil in salted water till done.
- Now add stock mixture on rice and mix well.
- Spread meat, raisins, carrots on rice and let it simmer for few minutes.
- Mix all and dish it out. Garnish with almonds and serve hot.